Mushroom Risotto with Caramelised Onions

Mushroom Risotto with Caramelised Onions

Postby but_a_dream » Sun May 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Dinner tonight was another scrumptious recipe from Oh She Glows!!

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/02/08/mushro ... ed-onions/

Of course no "Earth Butter" was used in my version but it was still super tasty. I did use the olive oil as directed (to cook onion) at a low heat so that is something that does need correcting to make it OMS friendly.

Mushroom Risotto with Caramelized Onions
Thick, rich, and satisfying with a strong mushroom flavour and pop of sweetness from the caramelized onions. This is pure comfort food.

Adapted from: The Kitchn.

Yield: 2 (as main course), or 4 side servings

Ingredients:

3-4 yellow onions, divided
1 tbsp + 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 pound cremini mushrooms (~455 grams), washed and sliced
1 large sprig fresh rosemary
1 cup uncooked pot barley (or grain of choice, like rice)* see note
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3.5 cups vegetable broth (I used full-sodium), *see note
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to garnish
1 tbsp Earth balance or butter, to stir in (optional)

Directions:

1. Chop 2 small yellow onions to make 2 cups worth. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook onion for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and cook over medium-low for about 8 minutes. Reduce heat if necessary to avoid burning.

2. Turn the heat up to medium-high. Add all the sliced cremini mushrooms to the skillet and let them cook for 5-10 minutes.

3. Add the rosemary sprig and seasonings to the skillet. Stir well. Cook for a couple minutes. Now add in the barley (or rice), balsamic vinegar, and vegetable broth gradually as it cooks. You may have to adjust the amount of liquid used depending on the type of grain used. Bring to a boil. Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and stir every few minutes, reducing the heat when necessary to prevent it sticking to the bottom. Be careful because it will burn fast!

4. Meanwhile, make the caramelized onions. Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Cut 1-2 yellow onions in half, and then slice them into thin half moons. Add them to the oil and sprinkle liberally with salt. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn a dark brown, for about 30 minutes. Watch closely. I burned some of mine because I got distracted by shiny objects. It happens.

5. When the risotto has finished cooking remove rosemary sprig and stir in a spoonful of Earth balance or butter if desired. Distribute into bowl and top each bowl with a spoonful of caramelized onions and freshly ground pepper. Serves 2-4.

Note: Make sure that you add the vegetable broth slowly as different grains will absorb different amounts of liquid. You don’t want too much liquid at the end!
but_a_dream

Re: Mushroom Risotto with Caramelised Onions

Postby korimako » Mon May 14, 2012 8:02 am

Looks very tasty but I think there is too much fryng in oil and far too much time and heat to be OMS friendly. I would cook the onions without oil until they catch, then add the garlic with a splash of white wine then add the mushrooms. Onions can be caramelised the same way with a splash of balsamic vinegar for colour and a pinch of brown sugar.
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
korimako

Postby Susan Doumbos » Mon May 14, 2012 9:43 pm

I'm coming to your place for cooking lessons, Wendy! Or maybe I'll just eat everything you make ....
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012
Very Mild Relapse May 2013, started Copaxone. No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Susan Doumbos

Postby kaybe » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I love risotto. As you say, it's not 100% OMS compliant ;) , but at least it's not full of butter and cheese. Thanks also for putting me onto Oh She Glows blog. I have just been going through it and found the perfect receipe to take to Morning Tea on Monday. My morning tea is with 5 other MS mums here in Brisbane. I'm the only one of us who follows an OMS/Swank style diet so I always have to take something I make myself, so I know I can eat it.
:)
kaybe

Return to Main Meal