Restaurant Reviews

Re: Menu - for a day

Postby George » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:25 pm

Restaurant review: Zum Zum, Rathdowne St, North Carlton, Victoria, Australia

Middle Eastern food has a deserved reputation for simple earthy ingredients but plenty of flavour. So it is with Zum Zum. Lots of choices for vegetarians and vegans too, although the best food (as always) is reserved for us pescatarians, or should I say vegaquarians? Starting with stuffed vine leaves with olive oil, two serves of some wonderful grilled calamari with typically earthy spices on rocket and pomegranate, prawns grilled and laid over a mouth-watering traditional Arabic garden salad, and Portobello mushrooms sautéed with coriander, capsicum and pomegranate essence, we found ourselves unable to immediately contemplate main courses. The Marlborough sauvignon blanc provided an excellent accompaniment, without being overpowered by the flavoursome dishes. Our only quibble, by the time we got around (after talking about the wonders of the OMS diet for weight loss, an issue close to the heart of one of our group) to asking for the main of fish of the day with walnuts, coriander, chilli and tahini sauce, we were advised that it took too long to cook to fit it in before the next sitting arrived! So we had to make do with the fresh mint tea and some aromatic Turkish delight. Oh well, enough room left for a visit to Yumbo's up the road, and a passionfruit sorbet.

Would have to be 8/10 for the food, and 9/10 for the low price.

Eat well

Be well

George
George

Restaurant Reviews

Postby Lisa:Administration » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:54 am

Know any great OMS friendly restaurants? Post a review here, the Professor posts his....
Lisa:Administration

Dilli Indian Restaurant, Altrincham

Postby Cather1ne » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:36 pm

I ate out here last night. It was delicious. I haven't really eaten out much since October, thinking that it would be hard.
I am recommending Dilli to people in the Manchester area. I was eating chicken the last time I went in and of course am not now. The waiters were happy to advise on vegan meals, which oils they were cooked in and at what temperature, whether the dish contained coconut oil or not. I haven't eaten so much for ages!!

Catherine
First symptom (of many): May 2009
Started OMS: October 2011
'Inconclusive' diagnosis: January 2012
Decided no diagnosis required: February 2012
Cather1ne

Re: Dilli Indian Restaurant, Altrincham

Postby catriona » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:10 am

Wow, thanks for the recommendation, Cather1ne! I love curry but haven't eaten it in a restauant for ages because I'm so nervous about them using ghee.

Altrincham's not too far from home, so I'll definitely be trying it out some time
catriona

Re: Dilli Indian Restaurant, Altrincham

Postby Cinderella » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:45 am

Hey Frock Woman - what did you have to eat?
Cinderella

Re: Restaurant Reviews

Postby Wendy:Moderator » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:58 am

I have merged this topic from the Misc forum with another suggestion for a OMS friendly restaurant.
Wendy

OMG Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 OMS Retreat Feb 2102
Wendy:Moderator

Postby korimako » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Sachi in Nelson, New Zealand is a Japanese restaurant. The sushimi sushi tasting platter is delicious. I always ask for extra smoked teriyaki eel! The only thing to avoid is sushi with panko breadcrumbs, although delicious, are high in sat fat and could contain dairy.
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
korimako

Postby Cather1ne » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:59 am

Yo Cinders :)
I had chana pindi and aloo gobi and naan. They used oil for everything - no ghee. The waiters were amazing and checked with the chef about everything. I asked about coconut oil and temperature of the ovens (ok, I got funny looks about that!!) but they took care of me and it was delicious. My bf had lamb and the waiter came to warn me not to eat it!!

Catriona - you are welcome - it is very very worth it. It is very close to the tram/bus station.
Cather1ne

Postby Susan Doumbos » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:41 pm

https://www.facebook.com/GisbornePeakWi ... n=timeline

http://www.gisbornepeakwines.com.au/cel ... +Menu.html

I visited Gisborne Peak Winery today (just outside Melbourne).

I phoned the day prior to explain my dietary requirements, and the lady on the phone, Leith, bent over backwards to assist me, and arranged for a 'custom-made OMS friendly' pizza to be prepared for me in advance, ready for my visit today.

It was delicious - prawns, pumpkin, mushrooms, spinach, tomato sauce. Pity I didn't order two, it was so good!

Very relaxed and friendly venue, with beautiful surrounds.

My friend had a glass of their bubbly, which she pronounced excellent.

I visited their Facebook page and "liked" it, and also noticed that George has "liked" it, too!
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Susan Doumbos

Re: Menu - for a day

Postby Matthew » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:43 pm

George wrote:stuffed vine leaves with olive oil, two serves of some wonderful grilled calamari with typically earthy spices on rocket and pomegranate, prawns grilled and laid over a mouth-watering traditional Arabic garden salad, and Portobello mushrooms sautéed with coriander, capsicum and pomegranate essence

Now, who wouldn't want to eat food like that?

Return to Diet