Article: Link between MS and Diabetes and milk

Article: Link between MS and Diabetes and milk

Postby Mother of 5 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:13 am

Hello Everyone!

I just finished reading Dr. Jelinek's article on "New Eye test Predicts Activity in MS" found here:
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... ity+in+MS/

What caught my eye was Dr. Jelinek's statement that: "This is a relatively simple scan that is radiation-free and is commonly used to assess the health of the retina (the nerve cell layer at the back of the eye) in people with diabetes."

I have a history of borerline Type 1 diabetes (just under the threshold when tested back in my early twenties). So I just did a search of "Multiple Sclerosis" and "Diabetes" and found the below very interesting article closely linking the two of them in a study back in 2001 and mentioning " the role cow milk protein plays as a risk factor in the development of both diseases for people who are genetically susceptible". The very interesting article then goes on to state that "If confirmed in a larger and prospective family study, it may become possible to design dietary means to influence the course of MS as well as diabetes." Isn't that what we are doing? :D

Below is the article and here is the link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 074643.htm With the dairy lobby here in the United States holding so much influential power, it's not surprising that we haven't heard any news about the follow up study mentioned in the article. Specifically Dr Dosch is quoted as saying: ""We are planning a large international study with centres in Canada and the US to test the possibility of interventions during the pre-MS phase". Have any of you heard of the results of this later study? It wouldn't be surprising to me to hear that the powerful dairy lobby put an end to this very important study. Have a great day! Janet (NJ)

Researchers Determine That MS And Diabetes Are Closely Linked Diseases

ScienceDaily (Mar. 22, 2001) — Toronto, March 20, 2001 - A team of researchers led by Hospital for Sick Children (HSC) senior scientist Michael Dosch has determined that multiple sclerosis and type I (juvenile) diabetes mellitus are far more closely linked than previously thought, including the role cow milk protein plays as a risk factor in the development of both diseases for people who are genetically susceptible. This research is published in recent issues of The Journal of Immunology (April 1 and February 15, 2001).

Multiple sclerosis (MS) and type I diabetes mellitus are autoimmune disorders, where the body's immune system attacks its own tissue. The diseases are entirely different clinically, but have nearly identical ethnic and geographic distribution, genetic similarities, and, as is now known, shared environmental risk factors.

In a collaboration between The Hospital For Sick Children, St. Michael's Hospital and the Pittsburgh Children's Hospital, Dr. Dosch's laboratory discovered a high degree of similarity in the autoimmunity of MS and diabetes patients, and that a widely used mouse model for diabetes could also develop an MS-like disease.

"Much to our surprise, we found that immunologically, type I diabetes and multiple sclerosis are almost the same - in a test tube you can barely tell the two diseases apart," said Dr. Dosch, the study's principal investigator, a senior scientist in the HSC Research Institute, and a professor of Paediatrics and Immunology at the University of Toronto (U of T). "We found that the autoimmunity was not specific to the organ system affected by the disease. Previously it was thought that in MS autoimmunity would develop in the central nervous system, and in diabetes it would only be found in the pancreas. We found that both tissues are targeted in each disease."

In diabetes and MS, there is a long, drawn-out period of silent disease years before the appearance of symptoms and diagnosis of the disease. In diabetes, it is this "pre-diabetes" phase that is targeted by interventions to stop the development of the full-blown disease. Similar efforts are planned for individuals at high risk for MS.

"We are planning a large international study with centres in Canada and the US to test the possibility of interventions during the pre-MS phase," added Dr. Dosch.

One of the major environmental risk factors for diabetes is exposure to cow milk protein. Based on the role of cow milk protein as a risk factor in the development of type I diabetes, an international global diabetes prevention trial called TRIGR - Trial to Reduce Insulin-dependent diabetes in the Genetically at Risk - is expected to begin later this year, with Dr. Dosch as the trial's basic science chair. In the first step to test just how far the similarities between MS and diabetes go, the study's researchers looked for signs of abnormal immunity to cow milk in MS patients. Such abnormalities were indeed found in most patients, suggesting that similar processes may contribute to both diseases. If confirmed in a larger and prospective family study, it may become possible to design dietary means to influence the course of MS as well as diabetes.

"The similarities found between MS and type I diabetes will open new avenues of research. Our next focus will be to study MS family members for signs of early MS," said Dr. Paul O'Connor, head of the MS clinic at St. Michael's Hospital, a co-author of the study and Associate Professor of Neurology at U of T.

### Other collaborators on this research were: Shawn Winer, Igor Astsaturov, Roy K. Cheung, Lakshman Gunaratnam, Denise D. Wood and Professor Mario Moscarello, all from the HSC Research Institute; Colin McKerlie, Sunnybrook and Women's Health Sciences Centre and the University of Toronto; and Professor Dorothy J. Becker, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh and the University of Pittsburgh.

Funding for this research was provided by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, the Canadian Diabetes Association, the US National Institutes of Health and the Renziehausen Fund.
Mother of 5

Re: Article: Link between MS and Diabetes and milk

Postby Mother of 5 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:21 am

Here is an interesting article (not on milk), but on the Link between MS and Diabetes.

Specifically it states: "We therefore conclude that adult women with type 1 diabetes are at an enormously increased risk of multiple sclerosis, and that the answer to questions about the clustering of these disorders is that they are “together at last.”

Article: "Type 1 Diabetes and Multiple Sclerosis Together at last" (by Janice S. Dorman, PHD1,Ann R. Steenkiste, MS1,James P. Burke, PHD2 and Marco Songini, MD3 - Department of Epidemiology, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA"

Link to article: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/conten ... /3192.full
Mother of 5

Postby Mother of 5 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:34 am

Up until January 2012, scientists could not create mice to effectively test MS. The mice they could use would only get a single MS inflammatory peak, therefore not replicating the relapsing/remitting MS found in humans. However, a study released in January 2012 found that "when mice with Type 1 Diabetes are injected with myelin protein — the insulating material that coats neurons — they experience the periods of relapsing and remitting disability associated with brain lesions in humans. And for the first time, they've been able to monitor this brain lesion process using magnetic resonance imaging."

Very interesting. There were no good mouse models for MS research. However, scientists then discover that taking the diabetic mice and then injecting them with Myelin Protein creates MS in mice. Wow!

Since scientists know that drinking cow's milk at a young age causes Type 1 Diabetes, is it possible that drinking cow's milk is also a precursor for getting MS?

Here is the link to that mouse article: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 010512.php
Mother of 5

Postby Mother of 5 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:45 am

I wonder if anyone else besides me here has been on the borderline of diabetes over the years.

When I was young, I used to get the sugar shakes (occassional shakes after eating something high in sugar, almost like a crazy adrenaline rush). It seemed more prevalent when I was under stress. While in college, it got so bad that I went for a glucose tolerance test.

After drinking the gross liquid, I immediately got the sugar shakes to the point that I was brought a blanket because my body was so violently shaking. However, the nurse wouldn't test my blood until 30 minutes after I had drunk the liquid. She said it was impossible for my body to respond so quickly. By 30 minutes out when she tested my blood, the shakes were subsiding. That blood was just a smidge under the numbers needed for diabetes. Every 15 minutes from then on the blood test showed lower and lower sugar.

My interenist at the time said that since I weighed only 105 pounds (that was back in my twenties), that I was just under the borderline for Type 1 diabetes and I needed to watch what I ate. As I have aged, my metabolism has slowed down and I don't get the sugar shakes often anymore.

Does anyone here have diabetes or a similar experience?

Thanks! Janet (NJ)
Mother of 5

Postby Alex » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:08 am

Interesting, though important to note that the causes Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are very different and basically only share the name and outcome,but from my knowlege might as well be two different diseases. Type 1 is auto-immune so there's a common thread with MS.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Alex

Postby Mother of 5 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:29 am

In 2008, a study found that an oral diabetes drug (pioglitazone - known as Actos) was shown to have a very positive impact on M.S. Specifically, the study found that "Patients taking pioglitazone showed significantly less loss of gray matter over the course of the one-year trial than patients taking placebo. Of the 21 patients who finished the study, patients taking pioglitazone had no adverse reactions and, further, found taking pioglitazone, which is administered in an oral tablet, easy."

ACTOS works on two of the common problems that lead to high blood sugar in type 2 diabetes.
1.It helps your body better use the insulin it makes.
2.It also stops your liver from making more sugar when it doesn’t need to.

While this study implies no side effects from Actos, you will find recent articles and concerns wtih Actos causing bladder cancer, etc.... However, the theory that reducing blood sugar may improve MS is still something worthy of watching in the future.

Here is the article on the study -- Diabetes Drug Shows Promise Against Multiple Sclerosis

ScienceDaily (May 28, 2009) — A drug currently FDA-approved for use in diabetes shows some protective effects in the brains of patients with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis, researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine report in a study currently available online in the Journal of Neuroimmunology.

In a small, double-blinded clinical trial, patients with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis were assigned to take pioglitazone (a drug commercially known as Actos used to treat type-2 diabetes) or a placebo. Patients continued their normal course of therapy during the trial.

Standard neurological tests were done initially, as were MRI scans to provide baseline values for lesions typically seen in MS patients. The patients were evaluated every two months, and blood samples were taken. Repeat MRI scans were done after five months and again after one year.

Patients taking pioglitazone showed significantly less loss of gray matter over the course of the one-year trial than patients taking placebo. Of the 21 patients who finished the study, patients taking pioglitazone had no adverse reactions and, further, found taking pioglitazone, which is administered in an oral tablet, easy.

"This is very encouraging," said Douglas Feinstein, research professor of anesthesiology at UIC. "Gray matter in the brain is the part that is rich in neurons. These preliminary results suggest that the drug has important effects on neuronal survival."

Feinstein's lab has been interested in the class of drugs called thiazolidinediones, or TZDs. Several TZDs have been approved for use in the treatment of type-2 diabetes because of the drugs' effect on the body's response to insulin.

The researchers focused on pioglitazone because of its known anti-inflammatory effects, Feinstein said. They used primary cultures of brain cells to show that pioglitazone reduced the production of toxic chemicals called cytokines and reactive oxygen species. These molecules are believed to be important in the development of symptoms in MS.

Feinstein's lab proceeded to test pioglitazone in an animal model of MS. They and others showed that pioglitazone and other TZDs "can significantly reduce the clinical signs in mice with an MS-type disease," said Feinstein.

"More importantly, when mice who are already ill are treated with pioglitazone, the clinical signs of the disease go away," he said. "We were able to induce almost complete remissions in a number of mice."

"We are now working to determine the mechanisms to explain the protective effect on neurons that we see in our studies," said Feinstein. "We hope to expand into a larger trial to confirm these preliminary results."

Claudia C. Kaiser, who was a post-doctoral student at UIC, is first author on the paper. Other authors are Dinesh Shukla and Demetrios Shias of UIC; Glen Stebbins, Dusan Stefoski and George Katsamakis of Rush University Medical Center; and Douglas Jeffrey of Wake Forest University School of Medicine. Takeda Pharmaceuticals funded the study and provided the drug but had no other involvement in the study.

Link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 171809.htm
Mother of 5

Postby korimako » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:59 am

There is also a link between vitamin D levels and both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
korimako

Postby ironic » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:22 pm

After having the tomography scan eye test last month and being "borderline", but possible because of slightly high eye pressure. The scan was quick, and a print out shown to me a few minutes later. similar to the one in the article in the news on this OMS site. My pressure was slightly high and is now controlled with an eye drop.

I would encourage everyone to put on the to do list get eyes tested.

Having been married to someone with type 1 for many years, we have learned that exercise helps the insulin to work (keep the blood sugar lower). At a support group meeting many years ago , a visiting Opthamolagist speaker, suggested that when he looks at the retina of many people with diabetes, the small blood vessels at the back of the eye block and expand like small balloons. He recomended to take linseed oil and nut oils. After doing this for 20 years, Opthamologists are supprised that she has had type 1 for so long and have perfect eyes after examination.

We have learned that when the blood suger is low and we give her a juice or jelly beans, it takes about 10 minutes to recover, (providing it is not extreme).

thank you for the information Janet.

ron
ironic

Postby veg » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:56 am

Type 1 diebetes is covered in The China Study and comments on the link as the insulin creating cells on the pancreas are the same fit as one of the protiens found in cows milk. Molecular minicry.
Leaky gut lets these protiens into the blood stream and then we get antibodies against them and then if these antibodies wander around the body and find the cells on the pancreas the journey starts as I read it to losing the insulin pruducing ability.

Does anyone know any type 1 vegans in that would be a person brought up solely vegan so no dairy exposure ever.
veg

Return to Diet