Interesting story about a man cured of aids ignored

Interesting story about a man cured of aids ignored

Postby Alex » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:27 pm

A doctor who knew nothing about Aids treated a man for cancer and decided to "reconstruct" his immune system. The patient is aids free. How was this received? It was criticized at conferences - sometimes because they didn't believe it and at others because they basically said "yes, you cured him, but that's not really something you can do to with everyone". It's a dangerous procedure, but instead of looking to how it worked and seeing it as an opportunity, they shunned it.

It's interesting reading. There's a story for us somewhere. Actually, i was wondering why I don't hear about Campath much anymore. It seems after a few treatments you're cured, but that it can be dangerous. I think there's a parallel.

The Man Who Had HIV and Now Does Not
Four years ago, Timothy Brown underwent an innovative procedure. Since then, test after test has found absolutely no trace of the virus in his body. The bigger miracle, though, is how his case has experts again believing they just might find a cure for AIDS.

http://nymag.com/health/features/aids-cure-2011-6/

Alex
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Alex

Re: Interesting story about a man cured of aids ignored

Postby catriona » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:15 pm

I so hope it's true and generally applicable! I think part of the problem is that so many people overhype their scientific findings in order to get press attention (e.g. headlines about "a cure for MS" when it's actually just an effect seen in cells in a petri dish, or in mice with EAE and lots more testing is needed to check if the same results are found in people), and there are so many "snake oil salesmen" looking to get rich from sick people desperate for a cure - this makes many medics and scientists deeply cynical, and many forget the importance of being open to new possibilities :(
catriona

Return to Miscellaneous