Anyone have any info on chantix and MS

Anyone have any info on chantix and MS

Postby KT » Tue May 21, 2013 1:12 pm

My husband who is newly diagnosed came home today asking me to google chantix and MS. A costumer mentioned to him that a friend of his wife's (it's always a friend of a friend of a cousin's friend, isnt it? lol) said they "caught" MS from Chantix, that her DOCTOR told her she caught it from chantix. Well, my husband took chantix about 4 years ago in an attempt to stop smoking. I don't believe there is any correlation, but, does anyone have any thoughts on this? He was thinking of using it again as he started smoking again about a year after and of course now wants to stop for good and embrace the OMS lifestyle since diagnosis in march, but it is difficult for him. Thoughts??
KT

Re: Anyone have any info on chantix and MS

Postby korimako » Tue May 21, 2013 1:21 pm

I'd say that the smoking itself played a role in the development of your husbands MS. All the more reason to stop and adopt a healthy lifestyle.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... S/Smoking/
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
korimako

Postby KT » Wed May 22, 2013 1:01 am

korimako wrote:I'd say that the smoking itself played a role in the development of your husbands MS. All the more reason to stop and adopt a healthy lifestyle.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... S/Smoking/

ABSOUTELY!!! It has been mt battle with him for YEARS!!!
KT

Postby Dyno » Fri May 24, 2013 3:29 pm

I was in this boat, having been a 50 per day smoker for 30 years. Of course I rationalized on and on, tried to cut down and over the years tried every method known to man to stop, including Champix which disagreed with me, messed up my emotions. Truth is I didn't want to stop. In the end, one has to find a will to stop, you have to really want to stop more than continue. I am now stopped for over 7 months, and will not go back. When I stopped my few remaining symptoms disappeared over the next month or two, so I am convinced that smoking does contribute to MS. Don't kid yourself, you can't have just one or two here or there. Get into some exercise and stop fooling yourself. If you want to get crippled with MS and die then keep on smoking ... no room for half way and no sympathy if you keep smoking. It's a choice, and it is childish to wait for someone else to do it for you. Don't mean to be harsh, but seriously, he should stop being a child and just stop. Adults don't need a dummy to suck on ...

Dyno
Dyno

Postby KT » Tue May 28, 2013 10:07 pm

thanks for that input Dyno! I dont mind harsh ;) congrats on your quitting! I'm sure smoking itself contributes.. have you heard of any sturdies that the chantix "causes" MS I think its more the smoking and people want to tag the blame onto the Chantix... Doctors are pretty sure years ago his double vision was his first exaserbation, undiagnosed unti now, but signs all point that way. that was long before he ever tried chantix.
KT

Return to Miscellaneous